News from TABA: New Directions

Tom Spiers

Tom Spiers (MBA ’01), president of TABA

When I became president of TABA (the Tulane Association of Business Alumni) this year, I began to think more about our goals as an organization. At the most basic level, our objective is to connect with fellow alumni, the school and the university, and to offer our support and assistance to the Tulane Alumni Association, of which we’re a part. I think it’s important to note for new or recent alumni that there are no dues or special requirements to become a member of TABA. You are a member of the association by virtue of attending the Freeman School, and we welcome your involvement and assistance to whatever degree you choose.

Our official mission is to encourage the active involvement of alumni in support of the school’s efforts to be one of the leading academic institutions in the nation. To best achieve this mission, we have focused our attention in recent years on the areas of career development and placement, development, and external relations. In order for TABA to continue to sponsor programs and initiatives to support these areas, we need more members to become more active.

As we begin a new academic year, our second under the leadership of Dean Ira Solomon, I think it’s important for TABA to become more inclusive of all Freeman alumni, especially those who live and work outside of New Orleans. To that end, we are working to establish TABA chapters in major cities where alumni can meet and participate in our programs and initiatives on a local level. Recently, we sent out an invitation to alumni outside Southeast Louisiana who might have interest in starting a chapter and asked them to attend this year’s Tulane Business Forum, our biggest annual event. We look forward to working with these active, engaged alumni to help create TABA chapters in their respective cities.

Freeman Days New York

Freeman Days New York is one of many student programs supported in part by TABA.

Many of the activities and events you have come to know and participate in through the years are made possible in part through TABA, including the Tulane Business Forum, Freeman Days networking events, the Tulane Business Plan Competition, the annual Rock ’n’ Bowl party to kick off the school year, and a host of other student programs and alumni events. The best way to help us continue to sponsor programs like these is to get involved and help form a TABA chapter in your current city.

I think I speak for many alumni when I say the Freeman School played a major role in defining my personal and professional life. Please join me in supporting TABA to help ensure that the Freeman School continues to play this significant role for students and alumni.

Warmest regards,

Tom Spiers (MBA ’01)

{ 0 comments… add one now }